The obituary desk sucked today. I was totally crazy busy and just wanted to place a call to The Woman upstairs and tell Her to slow it down and take a break here in Doo-Dah. I'm used to the holiday's being busy, but it usually starts to slow down a bit after the first of the year. I'm exhausted and have had a glass of wine and two beers. I will continue to drink tonight. It helps me relax a bit after having such a hectic day. BLAH!
As scared as I am, I'm gonna go ahead and put this out here. My "secret" dilemma was that I was offered a job elsewhere. I was NOT looking. They sought ME out. I could totally see myself retiring from the Big Bird. The reason I say that is because I do not have enough belief in myself that I could do something else. I am a creature of habit. I HATE change. I've been writing obits for almost 9 years. Not to sound like a bitch, but I am VERY good at it. I have developed GREAT relationships with a lot of the funeral homes here in town, as well as around Kansas. It was my first REAL job. I was a waitress at a sports bar when the opportunity at the Eagle came a knocking. I remember being so freaked out by the whole thing, that I even prayed that I would not get the job. But I did and I cannot see myself doing anything BUT obits. I LOVE my job. But there are things that I don't like. However, I will not get into that. I was really excited about the thought of starting over, but am now feeling like I've had too much time to think about it and things are good right where they are. I need some words of encouragement girls. Let the good vibes commence, PLEASE!!!!
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Bad Day
Posted by Heather rules at 8:00 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Woman, I have a feeling that you can do anything. Don't get me wrong, I don't want you to leave, but don't be afraid of the world outside the "big bird" (that's the first time I've heard it called that and I LOVE IT).
P.S. I hope you had the beer after the wine. You know, "liquor before beer, you're in the clear."
Wow, I sure don't want to see you leave...but I know you can do absolutely anything you want to do. If it's a better-paying job with less stress, I say go for it. If not, stay with the rest of us at the big bird! DO WHATEVER WILL MAKE YOU THE HAPPIEST! (but, I really don't wanna see you go...you ARE the obit queen!)
Thanks girls. I appreciate your kind words.
Jaime -
I did have the wine first. ;o)
You know my feelings: glad for you, sad for me (if you left). I KNOW without a doubt that you CAN do anything you set your mind to. 'Cause you're good enough, you're smart enough and gosh darn it, people like you!
Well, like I said, everything happens for a reason and if it's meant to be it will happen. It's always good to keep your options opened anyway. You're a very intelligent and fun girl that could do anything!
You can come over to the dark side like Amy D. and I did - we left the Big Bird and we survived.
Like Jaime, that's a nickname I hadn't heard yet for the Eagle but I love it!
It sounds like a Rader-ism. (Bo, not the other guy.)
WOW - I don't know what the Obit. Dept. would do without YOU! They have been spoiled for the last 9 year. There is LIFE AFTER THE EAGLE. It's hard to leave the "safety" of the Eagle, because you know what to expect everyday. I say "Go For It" if it's more money and something you have always wanted to do. If it doesn't work out.... You can always reapply at the Eagle. P.S. Thanks for the tattoo blog!
You always hear people say life is too short and I am here to tell you it is. There is something to be said for yelling "Woo-hoo" and jumping into the great unknown. Just like your muscles can't grow without stretching, neither can your soul.
Post a Comment