Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Smart kid

I had to stay on top of everything at work today so that I could get out of there for Gage's conference. He's doing great (no big surprise). He raised his grade in P.E. He did have an "M" for meets and now it's an "E" for exceeds. Everything thing else was great. He was asked to be in "Battle of the Books." That is so exciting. I'm SO happy Gage is such a reader. Mrs. Kelly also told us that Gage has taken the responsibility of helping a kid in his class with his math and reading. Mrs. Kelly said she is so impressed that Gage actually EXPLAINS the problem to this kid and helps him work through it until he gets the answer. She said at 3rd grade, helping is usually just giving your friend the answer, but not with Gage. I'm a very proud mom.

I've also been meaning to let everyone know that I'm reading Valerie Bertinelli's book "Losing It" It's good. There are some juicy parts (which I really enjoy), but she is always saying how fat she was when she weighed 125 to 135 lbs. That irritates me. I mean come on. That is NOT fat. It is all in her head. Sometimes I feel like if I hear her say it one more time, I'm putting the book down. Okay, that's not true. I'm almost done with it. Anyhoo...it's an okay book. I love reading biographies, auto biographies and true crime. So if any of you ladies have any good books filled with dirt that you would be willing to let me borrow, just let me know. (Chris, I still have Paper Life by Tatum O'Neal for you). It's been nice to have something to read in bed before I go to sleep. It's been too long. Something I really want to get back into to.

I have a funeral to attend this afternoon. It's for a funeral director that I've known since I started in obits almost nine years ago. He was a great guy. One of the nicest people I've ever met. When he got the diagnoses, they gave him two months to live. He didn't even make that. I feel for his wife. That would be so hard. He was only 60 years old. God bless you Don.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Gage! That's awesome!

Chris said...

All the cool kids like to read...pass it on.

Linda said...

I am so happy that you have a child who likes to read. I am such a reader, but none of my kids inherited that gene. Brandon likes to read some, but is not obsessive about it like I am. I will check my stash and see if I have any biographies or true crime books and give them to you!

Heather rules said...

Thanks Linda. If anyone is interested in Valerie Bertinelli's book, let me know. I know Chris had first dibs.

Country Girl said...

SO cool that gage is doing so well in school. keep on him about reading. james used to LOVE to read... but lost most interest once he got so involved in sports. the good thing though... when he does read by choice now, it's something historical.