Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Worse Than I Thought


My photo represents how a lot of people walking around the Bird are feeling after yesterday. I see a few of them smiling and that probably rings true too.


I knew that Monday was going to be bad, but THIS bad? I had no idea and obviously a lot of other people did not either. I figured my Monday would be bad (not that they are generally good anyway) due to a letter going out on Friday regarding rates being raised for obits due to an enhanced version of Legacy.com. I thought I would get calls ALL DAY LONG. I really didn't. It was kind of odd. Then before noon I was told about the layoffs. Eight people. People that have been there for 30 years, people that have given their all, people that truly care about the paper. One of those eight is someone who is very dear to me. I can't help but take it personally. I'm angry about it. They are letting people go that REALLY have a lot to offer. I'm feeling a bit better about things today. I'm still upset. Things are getting scary kids. It really shows me a lot and I don't like it. That's all I'm going to say about it.

6 comments:

El Bee said...

Well I've already told you how I feel about the whole situation. Nothing has changed and probably never will until somebody comes in and cleans house and gets rid of the ones who TRULY need to go! How do you get rid of people who have given their lives to that joint? BLAH! Bloody Bird!

chitknit said...

Yikes. Hadn't heard any of that yet.

Unknown said...

I had a feeling you were going to write about this. There were good people involved who were loyal to the company, and this is what they get. It sucks horribly, and we should all say a little prayer for them.

Linda said...

I wanted to post too, but couldn't find the words. One of the people is dear to me, and you and I both know who that is. I don't understand their logic - or - how can there be ANY logic in this? I understand it's a different business world out there - and I don't think we've seen the end of changes. How sad! After 31+ years, I wonder when it will be me...

Country Girl said...

i'm happy every day that i blew that popsicle stand. corporate sucks. how do they REALLY decide who to keep, and who to let go? it really sucks. good people don't deserve this after all their years of dedicated service. just gotta think of it as a blessing in disguise.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I don't understand the logic either. I just wish the best for them and hope they move on to something better!