Thursday, April 10, 2008

Smokers Suck

NOT!!! I'm a smoker and I really feel the need to complain about the new designated smoking area at work. Gimme a break. Listen I know that it is a terrible habit, but I (and other smokers) HAVE RIGHTS!! If we are smoking outside then there should be no problems. But hell no, were smoking outside and then there was an issue with an intake vent out on the dock and the smoke was going to the second floor. Well then we get moved to the parking lot of all places. I remember when I started at the bird that we smoked there by the garage doors leading into the pressroom. Well we got moved to the dock so customers could not see us smoking. Both of those places offered shelter from wind, rain, hail, snow. Out there in the parking lot, 10 ft. away from the propane tanks, there's no shelter. I feel like we are out there and customers are looking at us thinking "dirty smokers." Maybe "they " think this will motivate us to quit and maybe it will. Smoking is an addiction. It is VERY hard to quit. As some of you know, I tried last year. I did good for awhile, but fell off the wagon. Even if I quit smoking, I would never discriminate againist smokers. The government makes TONS O' MONEY from smoking, but yet they want to tell us where we can smoke. That's BS. All this talk of a smoking ban ticks me off. It should be up to the business owner whether or not they want their establishment to be smoke free. If you are a non-smoker DON'T GO INTO THESE ESTABLISHMENTS. It's that easy folks! I know some of you are going to debate with me. BRING IT ON!

10 comments:

Rockyn Robyn said...

GO GET 'EM LITTLE PIT BULL!

Country Girl said...

well honey... you know i'm always up for a good debate. so... you know i'm not a smoker, and you know i don't have a problem sitting in smoking when we go to margarita's or wherever, but... i gotta say... there are times that i LOVE the non-smoking places. i hate it when a restaurant has smoking and non-smoking sections, and you have to walk THROUGH the smoking section to get to the non-smoking section. like at saigon. but hey -- the food is worth it. :) - and there are times that i'm dolled up, smelling nice, and then bam... smoke. it clings to my hair like flies on shit if ya know what i'm sayin'.
and i'll be devil's advocate some more here for the NON-smokers... the thing that drives me nuts is when it's a beautiful day out, i've got the windows down, sunroof open, stereo jammin', then i pull up to a stoplight and i've got someone in front of me smoking. smoke follows beauty, so HELLO... of course it heads straight for me. and... i know one is free to smoke in their car, but... there are some fresh air days that are so beautiful and breezy and sunny... that the smoke jumping in really chaps my hide. it's like piss in the cheerios. ;)

Country Girl said...

oh... but i have an idea... is the smoking section where that picnic table is out in the parking lot? it was real nice for the regal beagle to spring for a picnic table, but... wouldn't it be funny if it accidentally caught on fire?? gee... never had any fires when y'all got to smoke by the building in the shelter... away from the elements. hmmm.... ;)

Heather rules said...

Cowgirl - I'm glad you LOVE non-smoking places...SO GO THERE. But if there is a bar owner that would like his establishment to remain pro-smoke, DON'T GO THERE. Bottom line.
I'm not even gonna comment on the smoke coming from my car when I'm in front of someone in MY car.
Also I don't want anything to catch on fire. I'm just trying to make my point.
Maybe I should have not posted this this morning. I was in a very fowl mood.

Linda said...

As you know, I'm a part-time smoker, but I grew up with parents that smoked. I agree that if you don't like the smoke, go to the non-smoking establishments. The only complaint I have against SOME smokers is that they don't clean up their butts. Look at the train tracks at work and all the thousands of butts down there. I'm hoping that people keep the "wonderful" new smoking area at work clean they won't ban it for good, but I'm afraid that's what's going to happen. Of course, they can't keep people from smoking across the street, even if they ban it on our property. For the most part I can take it or leave it, but as you know, some days lately I've just HAD to have a smoke! And by the way, when you are truly ready to quit, you will be able to. I have a wonderful friend who smoked tons for years and years, and about 8 or 9 years ago she went to therapy and did the patch, and she hasn't smoked since. I'm so proud of her. But I would never rub smoking in anyone's nose. It's an INDIVIDUAL CHOICE!

Country Girl said...

as long as you don't boycott knolla's for being a non-smoking establishment... all will be good in the world. :)

Heather rules said...

Thanks Linda. Yes, it is a person's choice.
I have a photo of the day I was born. My mom is holding me in her hospital bed and their is a cigarette burning right there on the little pull up tray. WOW.
It truly is an addiction and is very hard for someone to quit. I will try again. I'm not sure when, but it will happen. I don't smoke in my house anymore. I know my smoking has caused my son to have asthma. Even knowing that, I still have a hard time quitting. I think I am a great mom, but that just shows what a grip cigarettes can have on someone.

Heather rules said...

I do have to give props to my husband. He has not smoked since Nov. 1st. The day before his 31st bday. I'm very proud of him.

Heather rules said...

Also, I would not boycott any establishment for being non-smoking. EVER.

Chris said...

What a firestorm (pun intended) Heather! I am not a smoker, but I have been known to burn a few when drinking adult beverages. I would not make a decision about eating somewhere based on whether they're smoking or non. I go where the food is good or where my friends are. As long as smokers don't blow it in my face, it's all good. My addiction is eating...I know how hard it is to break a habit like that. I feel for you smokers and unsheltered smoking area at the Bird. But you feel free to vent to us whenever you need to. We're here for you!!